Knowing your Bible is not just something for preachers and academics! God has provided His word for all of us to be fully equipped to live for Him, 2 Tim. 3. 17. He has also given us His word so that we will be like Him, 2 Pet. 1. 4.
What to do?
- Listen to the voice of God speaking though His word - 2 Tim. 3. 16
- Understand God’s will for our lives - Ps. 119. 105
- Eat spiritual food that is essential for growth - 1 Pet. 2. 2
- Have a firm foundation for faith - Rom. 10. 17
- Learn the truth - John 17. 17
Why do it?
- To listen and obey are key things God requires - 1 Sam. 15. 22
- To learn about the one we love most - John 5. 39
- It will help to keep us pure - Ps. 119. 9
- It is vital to be able to explain why we do what we do - 1 Pet. 3. 15
- It’s promises and comfort will keep us going in times of difficulty - 1 Thess. 4. 18
- It will enable us to share what has been a help to us - 2 Cor. 1. 4
- We are privileged to have the whole Bible in our own language, with the ability and freedom to read it. We will have to account for how we have used that opportunity.
How to do it?
Use your hand to remember 7 important ways to get to know the Bible.
- [Hands together as if in prayer] Ask the Lord for help - Ps. 119. 18
- [Thumb, most important] Read it!
- [1st finger] Meditate and think about it - Josh. 1. 8
- [2nd finger] Study it - 2 Tim. 2. 15
- [3rd finger] Memorize it - Ps. 119. 11
- [4th finger] Listen to good teaching - Acts 17. 11
- [Wrist, with vein to heart] Apply it to our lives - Matt. 7. 24
Some practical advice
- I strongly recommend reading the Bible through each year (takes about 15 minutes per day)
- If you don’t think you have time, assess how long you spend reading other things – messages on phone, email, internet, etc
- Access free applications for listening on mobile devices
- Put verses where you often look – a verse on your mobile phone or computer ‘home’ screen is a modern application of Deuteronomy chapter 6 verses 7-9
- If we memorised one verse per week we would still learn only about 10% of the Bible by heart
- Note something each day (be it a question, verse, an encouragement, or challenge)
- Always be asking the question “What is God saying to me today?”