Are you looking for something that YOU can do for God? There are plenty of things to do! In this series we are going to explore some of the things that every Christian can do. No excuses – these things don’t depend on age, gift or experience! So keep reading and discover in each issue something that you can do for God. After all He has done so much for us!
First Suggestion – Give financially to God
‘Let everyone of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him’, 1 Cor. 16. 2.
Some ways to use your money to serve God!
- Help people in need, particularly focus on fellow believers.
- Support works being done in the Lord’s name.
- Buy outreach materials to tell people about the Lord Jesus.
- Give gifts to fellow Christians who are in need including (but not restricted to) those who have sacrificed employment to serve the Lord.
- Contribute financially to your local church/assembly.
Why should we do this?
- Nothing that we have really is our own, ultimately it all belongs to the Lord.
- The Lord gave everything for us.
- Giving shows our love for others.
- The Lord has specifically promised to reward sacrifices that are made for Him.
How should I give?
- With a happy attitude, 2 Cor. 9. 7.
- Without grudging, 2 Cor. 9. 6.
- Make a sacrifice to do so – it should cost us something, 2 Sam. 24. 24.
- On a regular basis, 1 Cor. 16. 2.
- Without others knowing how much – not drawing attention to ourselves, Matt. 6. 2.
- Sensibly and carefully – we will have to give account of how we have used what we have, Matt. 25. 14-30; 2 Cor. 5. 10.
Some extra advice
- Give as the Lord leads, not based on requests.
- All sums of money are small when given to the God of the universe. God values things based on the cost to you not the amount. Remember stories of the widow with the ‘two mites’, and the lad with the ‘five loaves and two fish’.
- Be wise when giving to those in need, in some situations it is better to give items rather than money.
- Organizations, such as Lord’s Work Trust ([email protected], 01563 521098), will forward money to those serving the Lord, and can also enable UK income tax payers to increase the amount given using Gift Aid.
- Read 2 Corinthians chapters 8 and 9.
- Set up a method of setting money aside. You could use a box, a bank account, direct debit, etc.
- Pray about how the Lord wants you to use the money He has trusted you with.
- Think about how God is more interested in what we keep back for ourselves than the actual amount we give.